Director: David Frankel
Cast: Meryl Streep, Tommy Lee Jones, Steve Carell, Jean Stewart
Screenplay: Vanessa Taylor
Synopsis: When Kay (Meryl Streep) and Arnold’s (Tommy Lee Jones) 30 year marriage starts to decay, the unhappy Kay decides to take her husband to marriage specialist Dr. Feld (Steven Carell) to try and rekindle the flame that once was.
1. Meryl Streep can play anything, though the movie might not be as enjoyable as I thought it would be, it wouldn’t have worked without her. Loved her scenes, this lady can make you feel anything. You can feel the depth of her character. Not for Oscar, but it was fun and very emotional. Good follow up to her third Oscar for “The Iron Lady”, but not brilliant (which I was expecting).
2. Nice to see Tommy Lee Jones in a light role again. After a small role in “Men in Black III” (2012) this year it was nice to see “Agent K” play “Agent K” in a romantic comedy. Not exactly Oscar worthy but he was good enough for what the movie is.
3. Not a fan of Steven Carrell’s character. He seems so one dimensional. Any one could have played his role. I was more interested to see the development between the two husband and wife characters rather then anything with Carrell’s psychiatrist. It just didn’t work for me, and I usually LOVE roles like this. He was kind of flat and that’s a disappointment if he’s try to transition himself to more dramatic roles.
4. Not so fond of the music choice. Don’t get my wrong, the songs were nice but just not too fitting for the movie. The genre jumped from one type to the other. And I couldn’t really enjoy that. I didn’t understand why they put such new and happy songs to accompany the likes of screen legends Meryl Streep and Tommy Lee Jones. I’m not a professional so I wouldn’t know what I’d personally choose, but for me it just didn’t work so much.
5. The screenplay was cute. And the direction was fine (though this is the most acting heavy movie David Frankel has made to date, he’s had better works). The film is a feel good movie and nothing more. There were many enjoyable scenes that I admirably laughed out loud in. However, It was rather slow at times and run time seemed longer then its 100 minutes. I just hope they didn’t take the subject matter too seriously.
6. Streep and Jones are great acting partners. Even if you’re not big fans of them, you have to admit that they are pretty skilled actors. I’m pretty satisfied with their performances and I hope they could make more romantic comedies like this. It’s not always about the young and the beautiful, so it was refreshing to see two great actors portray a normal couple.
7. Without the two leads, I would not have liked the movie too much. They were a big draw for the film.